The State’s Attorney’s Office is responsible for the prosecution of all criminal and serious motor vehicle cases in Frederick County, Maryland. The State’s Attorney’s Office is divided into four divisions: Circuit Court, District Court, Juvenile, and Child Support. We have specialized units in the areas of Drug Enforcement, Violent Crimes, Gangs, Elder Abuse, Family Violence, and Vehicular Manslaughter. As a career prosecutor at the Frederick County State’s Attorney’s Office, I have consistently fought for lengthy sentences for child molesters, gang members and those committing serious acts of violence with guns. To them my message has been clear… STAY OUT OF FREDERICK!
As your State’s Attorney, I pledge to:
- Continue to aggressively seek out, find, and prosecute those preying on our children.
- Continue to work to curtail gang violence.
- Continue to fight the opioid epidemic by engaging with community partners.
- Continue to divert from the criminal justice system good people making poor choices through the Drug Court and Mental Health Court
- As a citizen who is raising his family here, I feel strongly about maintaining the quality of life in Frederick County and Frederick City.
Your State’s Attorney,
- Married to Desiree Marie Smith. Occupation: Special Agent, FBI
- 4 children: Mattie, Hank, Delaney, Carson
- Born in Baltimore City. 1 of 5 five children of Charles and Norma Smith
- My hobbies include fishing, cooking, cycling, triathlon and home improvement. I also enjoy church missions, and coaching my children’s sports.
- Elected State’s Attorney: Office of the State’s Attorney for Frederick County, Maryland
- Maryland State Director, National District Attorneys Association
- Past President, Maryland State’s Attorneys Association
- Past Vice President, Legislative Committee, MSAA
- Past Vice President, Training Committee, MSAA
- Past Vice President, Scholarships Committee, MSAA
- Former Deputy State’s Attorney, Frederick County Maryland
- Former Chief, Child Abuse/Sex Offense Division, Frederick County Maryland
- Former Assistant State’s Attorney, Baltimore City, Maryland
- Past President, Board of Directors, Frederick Rescue Mission Inc.
- Board, Child Advocacy Center
- Board Member, Faith House
- Past Board of Directors, Fellowship of Christian Athletes of Frederick County
- Rotary Club of Carroll Creek (1999-2009)
- Character Coach, Middletown High School (various sports)
- Eastern Vocational-Technical High School, Baltimore, MD
- Salisbury State College, Football, 1982-84
- University of Maryland, College Park, Bachelor of Science in Finance, 1986
- University of Baltimore School of Law,Juris Doctor, Cum Laude, 1990.
- Heuisler High Honors, Class Standing 11/186
- Adjunct Faculty Member, National Advocacy Center (National College of District Attorneys) where I taught the courses Trial Advocacy, Advanced Trial Advocacy, Cross Examination and Juror Selection to prosecutors from all over the nation.
- Participate as a Moot Court Judge for local high school trial advocacy teams.
- Annual Lecturer to the Frederick Police Department and Frederick County Sheriff’s Office Academies